Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Sun Jul 17 08:53:30 EDT 2011

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 19:51, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Evidence: Tabs ARE superior!
>
> I am also a recent spaces-to-tabs convert. One of the reasons is that
> I've discovered that programing in a non-fixed width font is a real
> pleasure, but the spaces are too narrow. Tabs alleviate that.

Not using a fixed-width font avoids this problem and others in the first
place.

> I'm still looking for the perfect programming font. Suggestions welcomed.

I can recommend Consolas (Windows) or Inconsolata (elsewhere), which are
designed for programming and are near perfect in that regard.  However, I
have decided for "Deja Vu Sans Mono" for reading and writing Usenet articles
because it supports more Unicode characters and can be sized appropriately
for running text.

But, all of them are fixed-width fonts.  I do not understand how you can
consider using a non-fixed-width font in programming "a real pleasure" as
many them show a lot of ambiguities in source code.  Take for example the
lowercase "l" (el) vs. the capital "I" (ai) vs. the "|" (pipe) character,
or the "0" (zero) vs. the capital "O" (oh) character in Arial.

--
PointedEars

Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.