Tabs -vs- Spaces: Tabs should have won.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 07:11:40 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:35, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> programing in a non-fixed width font is a real pleasure
> If you're masochistic, maybe. Do you find fixed-width fonts ugly?

I don't find that fixed-width fonts are ugly, but variable-width fonts
sure are more of a pleasure. And with code-colouring in any good IDE,
there is no real need to have the dot or other tiny characters jump
out and announce their presence. So long as the indentation lines up
(which it does, with tabs or spaces) then I do not see any problem
with variable-width.

What are the counter-arguments?

> really would like to know why anyone would use a non-fixed-width font
> for programming.

Aesthetics.

>> I'm still looking for the perfect programming font. Suggestions
>> welcomed.
> I use Courier New.

Have you looked at the Droid fixed-width fonts? Very nice, and easy to
distinguish 0 from o or O.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il