None versus MISSING sentinel -- request for design feedback

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sat Jul 16 20:31:06 EDT 2011

Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Ethan Furman wrote:
>> some of the return values (Logical, Date, DateTime, and probably
>> Character) will have their own dedicated singletons (Null, NullDate,
>> NullDateTime, NullChar -- which will all compare equal to None)
>
> That doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It's common practice
> to use 'is' rather than '==' when comparing things to None.
>
> Why do you want to use special null values for these types?

Okay, after spending some time thinking about this question
I don't believe I have a good answer.  I think it was probably something
I thought of back when I started this project (which is basically what I
learned Python on) and I've since learned enough that whatever reason I
had back then has been replaced with more thorough knowledge and better
practices.

The best reason I have at this point is being able to know what the Null
value is supposed to represent -- True/False, a Date, etc. -- however,
even that is weakened by my decision to use None for Null in the case of
Character and Numerics; so there is probably no reason to not use None
in the case of Logicals, Dates, DateTimes, and Times.

Thank you for the question!

~Ethan~