Code hosting services

Jason Earl jearl at notengoamigos.org
Sat Jul 16 12:00:03 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16 2011, Thomas Jollans wrote:

> On 07/16/2011 10:32 AM, Andrew Berg wrote:
>> Does anyone know if there are any services that have cross-project
>> integration? I can see myself closing a ton of bug reports just because
>> they are issues with the library part of the program, which will be a
>> separate project (because there will be other projects based on that
>> same library).
>
> Launchpad has a cross-project bug tracker. Launchpad also uses the
> excruciatingly slow (but distributed, and written-in-python) bzr for
> version control.

I think that you will find that recent versions of bzr are no longer
slow, at least compared to Mercurial.  My experience with bzr is with
the Emacs project, and it is true that there were some performance when
it first switched.  Most of the problems, however, were due to the fact
that that the GNU server hosting the Emacs bzr repository did not allow
updates via the bzr protocol but instead forced the use of a dumb
transport (sftp).

You don't have that problem when using Launchpad.

I will certainly agree that bzr's past problems have made it difficult
for the system to gain traction.  The perception is that bzr is unusably
slow.  This is too bad, IMHO, as Launchpad is pretty cool.

Jason