list(), tuple() should not place at "Built-in functions" in documentation

Inside fancheyujian at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:58:22 EDT 2011

Hey guy,thx for you feedback first.

But I can't follow your opinion.Why?because of the list & tuple are placed at built-in function,so before I type 'list' unintentionally on the pyshell and it show me "<type 'list'>", I never know that the name 'list' is a type,I used to consider it's a function to produce 'list' type.

so,after I figure out this matter,I have to change all my code "assert isinstance(someobj, (type([]), type((0, ))))" to "assert isinstance(someobj, (list, tuple))",that's not a funny job.

I hope that I can stay in the Python abstract layer to solve problem(although go to the C API is OK but I don't want to),I'm going to trust what the doc telling me,so I hope the doc is exact enough.And the doc in the distribution maybe the most popular one.

@Steven D'Aprano,yes they can be used as function,but they aren't function and shouldn't confuse newcomers by this.