Functional style programming in python: what will you talk about if you have an hour on this topic?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 13 12:29:50 EDT 2011

On 7/13/2011 8:39 AM, Anthony Kong wrote:

> I am giving a few presentations on python to my colleagues who are mainly java developers and starting to pick up python at work.
>
> <personal opinion>
> So I have picked this topic for one of my presentation. It is because functional programming technique is one of my favorite in my bag  of python trick. It also takes me to the rabbit hole of the functional programming world, which is vastly more interesting than the conventional procedural/OO languages.
> </personal opinion>
>
> I think I will go through the following items:
>
> itertools module

The iteration protocol and the notion of iteraables as the common data
exchange format, with associated notions of iterators, generator
functions, and generators, are important features of Python. Not really
functional style, I guess.

> functools module
> concept of currying ('partial')
>

> I would therefore want to ask your input e.g.
>
> Is there any good example to illustrate the concept?
> What is the most important features you think I should cover?

Functions are first-class objects, like everything else.
Use of closures to create functions to be returned.

--
Terry Jan Reedy