Lisp refactoring puzzle

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 13 10:34:41 EDT 2011

On 7/13/2011 4:29 AM, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> * 2001-01-01T14:11:11-05:00 * Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> As a side note, the same principle of expressions matching operations
>> in symmetry suggest that majority of up are quite sensible and not
>> dumb idiots for preferring 'f(x)' to the '(f x)' of Lisp. In a
>> function call, the function has a different role than the arguments,
>> so it is appropriate that it have a different role in the expression.
>
> Please don't forget that the whole point of Lisps' (f x) syntax is that
> code is also Lisp data.

Thank you for clarifying that. Some Lispers appear to promote the
'simple, uniform syntax' as a end in itself (making code=data a side
effect) rather than as a means to accomplish a deeper end.

> It's not just a function call with arguments.
> First, it's literal data (two linked cons cells and symbols) and then
> the Lisp evaluating model makes it a function call in certain
> situations.
>
> Lisp is
>
>      CL-USER>  (let ((lisp (cons 'programmable nil)))
>                 (setf (rest lisp) lisp))

This much looks like Lisp

>      #1=(PROGRAMMABLE . #1#)

This must be some of the new-fangled Common LIsp stuff I never learned ;=).

--
Terry Jan Reedy