"Python Wizard," with apologies to The Who

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 12 21:02:12 EDT 2011

John Keisling wrote:

> After too much time coding Python scripts and reading Mark Lutz's
> Python books, I was inspired to write the following lyrics. For those
> too young to remember, the tune is that of "Pinball Wizard," by The
> Who. May it bring you as much joy as it brought me!
[...]

I wouldn't know a good song parody if it kicked me in the head, but my wife
is a (retired) professional musician with a history of writing parodies.
She's not impressed by the work of most "filk singers" and supposed
parodies, most of which are seventeen kinds of crap... but she gives you
full marks. And trust me on this, she does not give compliments lightly.

She says you got the rhyming scheme and number of syllables spot on.
Technically, "That modeling and sim guy" needs to be slurred to make it
fit, "That mod'ling and sim guy", but that's acceptable.

(Most parodies get the syllable count wrong -- if a lyric goes
dum-de-dum-de-dum, the parody ends up like dum-dum-de-dum-de-dum or
dum-de-dum-de.)

Have a +1 from me and the missus.

--
Steven