Wgy isn't there a good RAD Gui tool fo python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:27:18 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> Where is the Windows equivalent of yum or apt-get? Why isn't there a central
> repository of independent and third party Windows software? It seems clear
> to me that it is the major open source communities that aim for
> convenience, at the cost of the opportunity to sell licences.

The nearest commercial equivalent is probably Apple's iTunes store. It
manages to be the "one place to go" for iphone apps, many of which
cost money. Upside: Developers know where to host their stuff if they
want it to sell. Downside: Developers have to host it there if they
want it to sell - and Apple snag 30% on the way through.

I've not seen a Windows equivalent, but Microsoft could make one if
they wanted to. All they need is for the next version of Windows to
recommend that all software be signed, and make it somewhat awkward to
install unsigned software, and that would be that. It would probably
be the knell of Windows, but it could be done.

ChrisA