Wgy isn't there a good RAD Gui tool fo python

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:56:09 EDT 2011

On Jul 11, 11:33 am, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:

> A gui-builder reduces the semantic gap by showing a widget when the
> programmer things 'widget.'
> Banging out hundreds of lines in vi/emacs for the same purpose does a
> measurably poorer job.

It is very rare to need to "bang out" hundreds of lines of code to
replace a mouse click interface. If properly designed a good API can
compete with a GUI. In far less time than it takes me to scroll down a
list of widgets, pick the appropriate one, drag it across the screen,
tinker with it's absolute position, and set some attributes,  i could
have typed Widget(parent, **kw).geometry(blah, blah) and been done.

> Note it can reduce but not close.  By choosing fidelity to the gui we
> have corresponding less fidelity to the algos and data-structures [And
> one may assume that someone even using a gui toolkit wants to do
> something with the gui and not just paint the screen]

Exactly. For this very reason i have always refused to used any "point-
and-click" GUI builders. I prefer to get up-close and personal with my
code bases. Of course i use high levels of API abstraction for most of
the work, however i already know what is happening in the lower levels
if i need to dive down one tier.