Morelia for BDD in Python

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jul 10 01:21:30 EDT 2011

Phlip <phlip2005 at gmail.com> writes:

> 'sudo pip install morelia' just worked for me, on Ubuntu.

The problem with ‘pip’ is that it's a parallel package installation that
ignores the available package management system on the OS.

That's not a fault of ‘pip’ or Setuptools or PyPI or the rest; but it's
a higher maintenance burden for the user than getting a package from the
same system that provides all the rest of their packages on the
computer.

On operating systems with poor package management, Python's distutils
and PyPI etc. are better than nothing. But on an OS like Debian with
good package management already for free software, it's a step backward
to rely on external dependencies from a disjoint package system.

> I don't think a python-morelia aptitude package would add any value.

I think it would add great value, since without it I'm unlikely to
bother using Morelia in any project. The maintenance burden is too high
to keep adding dependencies that come from a distinct dependency system
outside my OS.

--
 \        “Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be |
  `\              over here, looking through your stuff.” —Jack Handey |