String concatenation vs. string formatting

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:16:55 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> It also doesn't generalise: only appends are optimized, not prepends.
>
> If you're interested in learning about the optimization:
>
> http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/python/ExaminingStringConcatOpt

>From that page:
"Also, this is only for plain (byte) strings, not for Unicode strings;
as of Python 2.4.2, Unicode string concatenation remains
un-optimized."

Has the same optimization been implemented for Unicode? The page
doesn't mention Python 3 at all, and I would guess that the realloc
optimization would work fine for both types of string.

ChrisA