Implicit initialization is EXCELLENT

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Wed Jul 6 02:45:44 EDT 2011

rantingrick wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:26 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
>> Since you can't do anything without a root window, I don't see the
>> benefit in forcing the user to do so [create one explicitly].
>
> The reason is simple. It's called order. It's called learning from day
> one how the order of things exists. Widgets are part of windows, not
> the other way around. Saving a few keystrokes is not acceptable if you
> jumble the understanding of a new student. To understand and use
> Tkinter properly you must understand the order of window->widget.
>
>> When they need to learn about root windows,
>> they will in their own good time.
>
> So you would start drivers education class with road construction? Or
> the history of the internal combustion engine? Who cares about
> actually *driving* the car.

Ahem, you are the one that suggests that in order to drive a car you should
first build a road, not Steven!

That said, why should I care about the choices and steps I have for creating
main windows and the possibilities I get from doing this myself? A basic
default main window is enough for me! Further, choice implies I can make
wrong choices, too, so forcing someone to make a decision might cause
errors.

Uli

--
Domino Laser GmbH