Implicit initialization is EVIL!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:15:44 EDT 2011

On Jul 5, 6:54 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:

> To do what for me? Close windows? Reclaim memory? Terminate
> applications? I don't understand your bogglement.

ClaimA: I made claim that Tkinter's window hierarchy is not only
normal, but justified in modern GUI programming.

ClaimB: You made a claim ( or supported a rebuttal claim) that Mac's
system of window management was superior and did not need such a
"window hierarchy" simply because;

1. You can create a program that twiddles it's thumbs (using very
little memory) until a message is received.
2. Upon receiving a message the program can open a GUI window.
3. When the user closes the GUI window (definition of "close" is not
nailed down yet!) the program will free the GUI memory and start
twiddling it's thumbs again until the next message arrives.
4. rinse and repeat until you are happy.

It's obvious that yours and my claims are contradicting. So with that
said, at what point does Tkinter or Windows fail in this example you
provide? Because, i can recreate the exact same functionality on a
windows box without need of the underlying window manager's help.

1. What is your point?
2. And how does it prove my position incorrect?