web hosting, first hand experiences?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jul 3 15:20:39 EDT 2011

In article <mailman.586.1309719023.1164.python-list at python.org>,
 Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks, I know this comes up regularly but the thing is that the
> quality of service changes also quite regularly with many of the
> hosting companies. What's currently the best option for shared hosting
> of a turbogears application? I'm thinking of dreamhost and webfaction
> does anyone have any recent experiences with these two? Or others?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

I've got an account on dreamhost, from which I host a couple of very low
traffic sites built on Drupal.  They seem like good folks, and provide
full shell access.  For me, that was the differentiator; most places
don't allow shell access on their shared hosting machines.

The downside to dreamhost is they seem to overload their shared hosting
machines.  Performance can be sucky.  Un clear how much of that is host
overloading and how much of that is simply that Drupal is a pig :-)