The end to all language wars and the great unity API to come!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 20:36:55 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> No. Aspell should offer bindings for THE "Unity API" and the
> respective "abstraction communities" are then responsible for
> maintaining a plugin for their "abstraction" into THE Unity API.

Your proposed "Unity API" (which I assume has nothing to do with Natty
Narwhal's preferred interface) already exists. It's the C language.
It's an abstraction layer between CPython, Pike, etc, and the
underlying hardware. The C standard library has a huge set of utility
functions like strcmp, malloc, and so on; by writing your code in C,
you simply enhance the C library. Language authors make use of this
enhanced C library to write functions to be called from that language.

And I don't *blame* the PIke community; since I'm a part of it, and
I'm quite probably the only part of it to need/want Aspell, I just
write the facilities I want.

ChrisA