how to get a list of all the hosts on the intranet around my workstation?

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 12:31:12 EDT 2011

Yes, pythonistas, sometimes I even amaze myself with the quality of
question that a computer scientist with a 25 year resume can ask
around here...

In my defense, a Google search containing "intranet host" will fan out
all over the place, not narrow on what I actually need.

The Use Case is a user wants to ping a nearby host, and I provide a
list of nearby hosts for the user to pick from. Nothing else. Hosts on
the outernet need not apply.

pydhcplib? Shell to a DHCP utility? Ping every server in a range
around my own?

--
  Phlip
  http://bit.ly/ZeekLand