abort python script from trace function

Dave Stark David.Stark at intusurg.com
Fri Jul 15 18:00:54 EDT 2011

Hello,
I have a multithreaded application that uses embedded python extensively.  The main thread creates python objects that interface test equipment, and users execute their own python scripts that run in a separate thread.  The users need to be able to pause/resume/abort a script that is currently running.  I registered a Py_tracefunc to check the state of the pause/abort buttons from the GUI, and pause/resume are working great.  The trouble is that I cannot figure out how to implement an abort in my trace function.  I can set exceptions use PyErr_SetString or PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc, but these just raise exceptions.  If the script is in a block that defines a try/finally the exception will be caught, not what I want.  In searching similar topics I saw references to PyErr_SetInterrupt, but this had no visible effect at all on my application.  I don't want to call Py_Finalize and shut down the whole interpreter, because I would lose the Python objects created in the main thread.  An uncatchable exception would be ideal.

My embedded python version is:
'2.6.5 (r265:79063, Mar 20 2010, 14:22:52) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]'

Thanks!