I don't know list, I not good at list.

Ellerbee, Edward EEllerbee at BBandT.com
Wed Jul 13 17:13:23 EDT 2011

I've been beating my head against the desk trying to figure out a method
to accomplish this:

Take a list (this example is 5 items, It could be 150 or more - i.e.
it's variable length depending on the city/local calling zones)
The first 6 digits of phone numbers(NPA/NXX) in a local calling area. I
want to concatenate the last digit for insertion into a call routing
pattern.

I tried this and failed miserably:

list1=['252205','252246','252206','252247','252248']
for item in list1:
	try:
		item1=list1[0]
		item2=list1[1]
		if item1[0:5] == item2[0:5]:
			print item1[0:5] + '[' + item1[5:6] + item2[5:6]
+ ']'
			list1.pop(0)
		else:
            		print item1
            		list1.pop(0)
	except:
		try:
			print item1
			list1.pop(0)
		except:
			pass

#-----------------------------------------------------------------
My intent is to have the end data come out (from the example list above)
in the format of
25220[56]
25224[678]

I tried putting together a variable inserted into a regular expression,
and it doesn't seem to like:
Item1=list1[0]
Itemreg = re.compile(Item1[0:5])
For stuff in itemreg.list1:
	#do something

Can somebody throw me a bone, code example or module to read on
python.org? I'm a n00b, so I'm still trying to understand functions and
classes.

I thought the experts on this list might take pity on my pathetic code
skillz!

Thanks so much :)

Ed Ellerbee