Functional style programming in python: what will you talk about if you have an hour on this topic?

Anthony Kong anthony.hw.kong at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 06:59:09 EDT 2011

Hi, all,

If you have read my previous posts to the group, you probably have some idea
why I asked this question.

I am giving a few presentations on python to my colleagues who are mainly
java developers and starting to pick up python at work.

<personal opinion>
So I have picked this topic for one of my presentation. It is because
functional programming technique is one of my favorite in my bag  of python
trick. It also takes me to the rabbit hole of the functional programming
world, which is vastly more interesting than the conventional procedural/OO
languages.
</personal opinion>

I think I will go through the following items:

   - itertools module
   - functools module
   - concept of currying ('partial')

I would therefore want to ask your input e.g.

   - Is there any good example to illustrate the concept?
   - What is the most important features you think I should cover?
   - What will happen if you overdo it?

Cheers

--

Tony Kong
*blog:* www.ahwkong.com

Don’t EVER make the mistake that you can design something better than what
you get from ruthless massively parallel trial-and-error with a feedback
cycle. That’s giving your intelligence *much* too much credit.

- Linus Torvalds