What Programing Language are the Largest Website Written In?

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 07:54:47 EDT 2011

maybe this will be of interest.

〈What Programing Language Are the Largest Website Written In?〉
http://xahlee.org/comp/website_lang_popularity.html

---------------------------------

i don't remember how, but today i suddenly got reminded that Facebook
is written in PHP. So, on the spur of the moment, i twitted:

  “Remember folks, the world's largest sites {Facebook, Wikipedia,
“Yahoo!”, etc} are written in Pretty Home Page!”

and followed with:

  “To Chinese friends, what's Baido, QQ, Taobao, Sina written in?”

Then, this question piqued me, even i tried to not waste my time. But
it overpowered me before i resisted, becuase i quickly spend 15 min to
write this list (with help of Google):

    1 Google ◇ Java
    2 Facebook ◇ PHP
    3 YouTube ◇ Python
    4 Yahoo! ◇ PHP
    5 blogger.com ◇ Java
    6 baidu.com ◇ C/C++. perl/python/ruby
    7 Wikipedia ◇ PHP
    8 Windows Live live.com
    9 Twitter.com ◇ Scala and Ruby?
    10 QQ.com ◇ ?
    11 MSN.com ◇ ?
    13 LinkedIn ◇ PHP?
    15 TaoBao.com ◇ ?
    16 sina.com.cn ◇ ?
    17 Amazon.com ◇ ?
    18 WordPress.com ◇ PHP
    22 eBay.com ◇ ?
    23 yandex.ru (Russian) ◇ ?
    24 Bing ◇ ?
    27 Microsoft.com ◇ ?
    28 网易 163.com ◇ ?
    29 PayPal.com ◇ Java?
    31 新浪微博 weibo.com ◇ ?
    32 Flickr.com ◇ ?
    34 mail.ru ◇ ?
    35 Craiglist.org ◇ perl
    36 FC2.com ◇ ?
    38 Apple.com ◇ Objective J?
    39 imdb.com ◇ ?
    41 VKontakte.ru ◇ ?
    43 搜狐网 sohu.com ◇ ?
    44 Ask.com ◇ ?
    45 BBC.co.uk ◇ ?
    46 tumblr.com ◇ PHP
    47 LiveJasmin.com (porn) ◇ ?
    48 xvideos.com (porn) ◇ ?
    …
    56 土豆网 Todou.com ◇ ?
    81 YouPorn.com ◇ ?
    StumbleUpon.com ◇ PHP, Perl, C++
    …

the numbers is site ranking, from alexa.com. (missing ones are mostly
duplicates, such as google japan, google india, etc.)

i think notable interest is that twitter stands out, with Scala and
Ruby.

Those with perl are probably going back to the first dot com era (aka
Web 1.0, ~1995 to ~2002). At that time, perl was basically the only
game in town (secondarily: Java). (i don't recall what amazon and ebay
were in... was it perl or php? how about imdb.com?)

most php follows starting in early 2000s, that's when PHP quietly
surpassed perl in all battle fronts.

it'd be interesting to know what some of the chinese sites uses, and
porn sites (e.g. livejasmin, xvideos, youporn)

as for Microsoft sites... are they in C/C++ and or dotnet?

 Xah