Read SAS files with Python?

Jones, Rebecca RJones at iso.com
Mon Jul 11 18:30:34 EDT 2011

Apologies in advance if this is already a time-worn question!

We are essentially a "SAS shop" and use Base SAS, Enterprise Guide and
E-Miner for statistical and predictive modeling purposes, often working
on big datasets (30M rows of 100+ columns).  There are some applications
for which we have had to craft Python solutions, such as interfacing
with ArcView to automate the generation of map overelays from
shapefiles, but the vast majority of our work is well-handled by our SAS
suite.

However, in the interest of expanding our skillset (and hedging our
bets), we are investigating whether anyone has yet developed a Python
module that can read SAS datasets directly?

Thank you!

RJones