multiple values for keyword argument

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jan 29 16:29:44 EST 2011

patty at cruzio.com writes:

> > I, myself, use the spanish word 'yo' instead (less keystrokes, I
> > hate 'self', and it amuses me); if I'm working with my numerical
> > experiments I'll use 'n' or 'x'... although, when posting sample
> > code to c.l.py I do try to use 'self' to avoid possible confusion.
> > :)
>
> I am glad you said this. I have been avoiding understanding this
> 'self', just accepting it :} For the time being, since my programs I
> am creating are for my own use, I think I will make my own names up,
> that are descriptive to me as the programmer, it's all going to be
> interpreted anyway.

Please consider that your code is written primarily for humans to read,
and only incidentally for the machine to execute. (If it were primarily
for the machine to execute and communication with humans was not an
issue, you would be writing in machine code.)

Consider that code written “only for my own use” frequently becomes more
widespread; and it's impossible to know at the time of writing it
whether that will be the case. It's prudent to write all such code as
though it were for public consumption.

--
 \          “Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; |
  `\    those in philosophy only ridiculous.” —David Hume, _A Treatise |