Use the Source Luke

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Jan 29 15:23:17 EST 2011

On Jan 29, 3:22 am, TP <wing... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Raymond Hettinger <pyt... at rcn.com> wrote:
> > I hoping a new trend will start with dev's putting direct
> > source code links in their documentation:
>
> >  http://rhettinger.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/open-your-source-more/
>
> > I'm looking for more examples of projects that routinely
> > link their docs back into relavant sections of code.
> > Have any of you all seen other examples besides
> > the Go language docs and the Python docs?
>
> > Raymond
> > --
>
> The Sphinx Python Documentation Generator
> (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/index.html), used for documenting lots of
> things other than Python, has an extension called "sphinx.ext.viewcode
> – Add links to highlighted source code"
> (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/viewcode.html).

Thanks, I didn't know about that extension.

To support my effort to add source links to the Python docs,
Georg Brandl added a new directive :source: so that we could
write :source:`Lib/heapq.py` and the set the prefix somewhere else
(i.e. pointing at the py3k branch on subversion or on mercurial).

Raymond