Use the Source Luke

TP wingusr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 06:22:48 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> I hoping a new trend will start with dev's putting direct
> source code links in their documentation:
>
>  http://rhettinger.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/open-your-source-more/
>
> I'm looking for more examples of projects that routinely
> link their docs back into relavant sections of code.
> Have any of you all seen other examples besides
> the Go language docs and the Python docs?
>

> Raymond
> --

The Sphinx Python Documentation Generator
(http://sphinx.pocoo.org/index.html), used for documenting lots of
things other than Python, has an extension called "sphinx.ext.viewcode
– Add links to highlighted source code"
(http://sphinx.pocoo.org/ext/viewcode.html).

You can see my use of it here on a small PyQt project:
http://tpgit.github.com/MDIImageViewer/imageviewer.html. You can even
view the Sphinx documentation "code" by clicking the "Show Source"
link on the left.

-- TP