Use the Source Luke

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Fri Jan 28 15:30:23 EST 2011

Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> writes:
>  http://rhettinger.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/open-your-source-more/
>
> I'm looking for more examples of projects that routinely
> link their docs back into relavant sections of code.
> Have any of you all seen other examples besides
> the Go language docs and the Python docs?

That is a very good post, and just about 2 days ago I happened to be
looking at the source of heapq for something I was doing, and I think I
got to it through the doc link that you added.  So the link has already
been useful.

Haddock (Haskell's equivalent to Pydoc or Javadoc) can automatically
generate source links in Haskell documentation.  For example, here's the
docs (including source links) for Haskell's standard library for dealing
with lists:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0-latest/html/libraries/base-4.3.0.0/Data-List.html

I've wanted for a long time for developer-oriented Linux distributions
to include full source code of everything as an integral part of the
distro rather than as a separate distribution.  For example, you could
examine any application and instantly see its source.  All programs
would be compiled with debugging enabled and a way to attach a debugger
to the running process, so you could at any time interrupt the program
and use gdb to see what it was doing, single step it, etc.