Need GUI pop-up to edit a (unicode ?) string

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Jan 27 13:41:22 EST 2011

On 2011-01-27, Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote:
> On 1/27/11 10:04 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2011-01-27, Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote:
>>
>>> In fact: everything that is "open source" is copyrighted. By
>>> definition[* see footnote].
>>
>> One (domestic US) exception would be open-source software written by
>> an employee of the US federal government.  Works produced by the US
>> Government are not copyrighted under US domestic copyright law.  Such
>> works are copyrighted under international law (which is probably what
>> the Python maintainers care about).
>
> I've actually wondered a bit about that: but the only open source
> software that I'm aware of that's been government-adjacent has ended
> up being written/owned by some University or joint venture funded by
> a government agency -- it didn't fall into the public domain category
> of content created directly by the federal government.

That seems to be the usual case.

> Are you aware of any code out there that is? Just curious. I'm not
> arguing that the exception doesn't exist or anything.

No, I can't point to anything significant or recent.  I have vague
memories of stuff from a long time ago (back when open-source software
travelled hand-to-hand on DECUS tapes) written by people at NOAA or
USGS that was copyright-free.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! RELATIVES!!
                                  at