Which is the best book to learn python

Benjamin Hell bhell at spamfence.net
Thu Jan 27 10:12:17 EST 2011

On 2011-01-26 01:43 , Luis M. González wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2:09 pm, santosh hs <santosh.tron... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i am beginner to python please tell me which is the best available
>> reference for beginner to start from novice
>
> If you are a complete beginner to programming, I suggest start with a
> tutorial such as "A Byte of Python" (google this).
> I learned my first steps with Josh Cogliati's "Non-Programmers
> Tutorial For Python" http://www.oopweb.com/Python/Documents/easytut/VolumeFrames.html

Josh moved this tutorial to Wikibooks some years ago, where it has been
improved since then. Today there are two versions, one for Python 2.x
and one for Python 3:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_2.6
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer's_Tutorial_for_Python_3

I have used it to introduce people to programming with very good results.

If you want to get the maximum out of Lutz & Asher's "Learning Python",
which is a very good book as well, you should have programmed in some
way before.

Ben