WxPython versus Tkinter.

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:02:41 EST 2011

From: "Robert Kern" <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> in? Robin Dunn is the wxPython project lead.

Ok, in this case I understand why WxPython can't be included in stdlib.
I think there was a communication problem because the oldest list members
start with the idea that all the list members know who is who and they may
be thinking that I don't want to accept the reality or that I have bad
feelings about some list members or something like that.

> There is a large difference between the being "promoted by Python" and
> being "included in Python's standard library. The latter is the issue at
> hand, not the former. wxPython is already "promoted" by Python's
> documentation:

If there is a bigger chance that a beginner start using Tkinter without
knowing its issues, this means that Python promotes the wrong tool.
As I said, the main issue is not that Python doesn't promote WxPython. I
have even suggested that Python might not include any GUI if this would be
prefered, but what's wrong is that Python promotes a GUI which is not
accessible by including it as a default GUI.

As we all know, Python doesn't care too much about maintaining a backward
compatibility and there are much many other things which are not compatible
between different Python versions, but some Python programmers consider this
a virtue because they say that what was wrong was eliminated. If they are
right, then why wouldn't be a good idea to also remove a wrong GUI lib? Just
because the majority prefers it?

Octavian