Is it possible to pass CSV Reader Object As Argument to another Python File ???

bansi mail2bansi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 19:57:41 EST 2011

On Jan 26, 6:25 pm, Ethan Furman <et... at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> bansi wrote:
>
>  > First namelookupWrapper.py running under Python 2.6 accept arguments
>  > from stdin and uses csv reader object to read it i.e.
>  > r=csv.reader(sys.stdin)
>  >
>  > And then it has to pass csv reader object to another python script
>  > namelookup.py running under Python 2.7 because it uses pyodbc to
>  > connect to database and iterates thru reader object
>

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > bansi <mail2ba... at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Thanks Chris. Sorry for mis-communicating, the two python scripts are
> >> dependant in a way that namelookupWrapper.py needs to pass csv record
> >> object to another python script
>
> > Why have you structured them that way, though? What constraint is
> > keeping you from doing the work in a single process, where the CSV
> > reader object can be shared?
>
> >> If thats not possible then please let me know how to do the workaround
> >> i didnt understood the import thing and not sure if it helps in my
> >> case
>
> > The problem as you've described it so far is best solved by having a
> > single process accessing the CSV reader object in memory. If that
> > doesn't suit your use case, you'll need to explain why not.
>
> In other words, why can't you use Python 2.7 to accept input and
> generate a csv.reader?
>
> ~Ethan~- Hide quoted text -

Ethan,
The python script takes the input from Splunk (http://www.splunk.com/
base/Documentation/) which supports only Python 2.6
So the real constraint is Splunk supports only Python 2.6 .

As you know Python 2.6 doesnt support or doesnt have pyodbc install
for Windows  64 bit OS
So i installed Python 2.7 and thereafter pyodbc install for Windows 64
bit OS for Python 2.7