WxPython versus Tkinter.

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Wed Jan 26 18:27:08 EST 2011

On 1/26/11 12:37 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2:07 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io> wrote:
>
>> And some people have absolutely no need-- no need at all-- for any sort
>> of GUI programming at all. This group is actually really, really big.
>
> Stephen "Strawman" Hansen: If he only had a brain! :-)
>
> That is the most obvious straw-man to date in this thread. What about
> the large portion of folks who don't use all the datatypes (queue,
> weakref, etc) or how about numeric and math modules (fractions,
> decimal, etc) or how about data persistence, or Cryptograhic, or
> curses! or, multimedia services, or, or.
>
> You see NOT everyone uses everything in the stdlib and most use much
> less than half. However we would be fools to claim "batteries
> included" and NOT support GUI!

As usual, you selectively quote and completely miss the point.

Hint: the quoted portion was not an argument for or against inclusion of
anything.

The funny thing is, by selectively quoting the phrase and using it to
imply that I was making a straw-man argument against inclusion with that
statement -- which, point of fact, I was not -- you are yourself, making
a straw-man argument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
"To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a
proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet
unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without
ever having actually refuted the original position."

I can't decide if you're just ignorant or if you're an artful troll with
a sense of irony and did it on purpose.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai