WxPython versus Tkinter.

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Wed Jan 26 16:34:43 EST 2011

On 01/26/2011 01:18 AM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> From: "rantingrick" <rantingrick at gmail.com>
> On Jan 25, 3:41 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you honestly think he was talking about the accessibility problem?
>> IMO that should move to another thread, because this one is simply
>> about, as the subject suggests, "WxPython versus Tkinter".
>
> Corey again (like many) you lack a global perspective. Anybody who has
> read along with his thread knows we are covering some pretty big
> issues here. WxPython is just the vehicle. The big picture is simply:
> Tkinter is old and in many ways insufficient for 21st century GUIs. We
> need to decide what should come next. I believe wxPython is our best
> hope. Wx may not be the best it can be, but it is the best we have at
> this time. There is more than "meets the eye" Corey!

I think he was referring to the large amount of trolling and immature
behaviour displayed. It would be a horrible thing to think that
accessibility is _bad_, unless of course it takes away from usability to
sighted users or is tons harder to implement (the technical reasons you
mentioned earlier). I understand that this thread is about the
deficiencies of Tkinter (and many other GUI toolkits) and that Wx is far
better than lots of what we have (but still has its issues). I
personally despise writing GUI's, but I do it when I have to. I'm a fan
of tkinter and wx because they are (in my very little experience) very
easy to use.

The issue I was raising with your post was really context. He wasn't
bashing specifically on accessibility or a toolkit, but more of the
attitudes and overall tone of some of the posts.

Hope that cleared it up for you.

(This would be a good time for python-gui to be opened up IMO, since it
appears lots of discussion is being generated)

~Corey