Is it possible to pass CSV Reader Object As Argument to another Python File ???

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Wed Jan 26 13:31:43 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:51 AM, bansi <mail2bansi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have following two python scripts
> -namelookupWrapper.py
> -namelookup.py
>

> The namelookupWrapper.py takes input of "memberId", "memberName" from
> CLI and has following code snippet
>
> idf = sys.argv[1]
> namef = sys.argv[2]
> real_script = "C:\\Splunk\\etc\\apps\\search\\bin\\namelookup.py"
> r = csv.reader(sys.stdin)
> os.execv(python_executable, [ python_executable, real_script ] +
> sys.argv[1:] )
>
> Wondering how would i pass csv reader object "r" as an argument using
> os.execv() to another python script i.e. namelookup.py

It's not possible to pass Python objects between processes in such a
manner. Given that "independent" scripts can't directly take objects
as input anyway, I doubt the two scripts are truly independent from
each other. I would therefore concur with van Sebille that you should
just rewrite them so that one script imports from the other rather
than spawning the other. It should not be too hard to port the Python
2.6 script to Python 2.7 (or vice-versa if necessary).

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com