Syntax help

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Jan 26 07:39:50 EST 2011

On 01/26/2011 04:05 AM, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
>> How to read syntax like this given in the documentation of python?
>> (Newbie)
>>
>> defparameter   ::=  parameter ["=" expression]
>
> Just in case you're about to learn python using these defintions:
>
> Nobody's learning a syntax that way.
> They are not meant to be understood by newcommers. They are accurate,
> non amiguous, exhaustive definition of the syntax.

I second Jen-Michel's suggestion -- it's like learning to drive
by reading the Chilton's (mechanic's manual) and all your
local/national laws on transportation.  I suppose it's
theoretically possible, but you likely want something geared at
teaching, and only reach for this when you're in trouble :)

-tkc