Need GUI pop-up to edit a (unicode ?) string

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 26 01:53:06 EST 2011

On 1/25/2011 6:02 PM, rantingrick wrote:

> This design pattern promotes reuse-ability and encapsulation. However
> with Fredricks design you cannot configure the contained widgets after
> creating the instance because the dialog has entered a local event
> loop brought on by "self.wait_window(self)" which is in the DAMN
> INITIAL METHOD!

I only see "self.wait_window(self)" in the Dialog base class and not in
SimpleDialog, which is what I though you were talking about. It is the
last line of Dialog.__init__. It appears that the intention is that all
configuration be done in the body and button_box methods which are
called earlier.

 > This is a major flaw in the design and i would be
> happy to fix the flaw. However our "friend" Fredrick decided to
> copyright the module to himself!

As far as I know, anything contributed to the stdlib has been licensed
by the author to be redistributed under the Python license and can be
patched by the developers. (This is one reason for people to not
contribute their code to the stdlib.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy