WxPython versus Tkinter.

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 00:26:45 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 11:15 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 10:29 AM, rusi wrote:
>

> > Just trying to sift the BS from the real issues
>
> > Heres a list of the issues relating to GUI toolkits
>
> > Look
> > Nativity-1 (as in apps look like other apps on the OS)
> > Nativity-2 (as in uses 'bare-metal' and not a separate interpreter)
> > Themeing (ttk)
> > Efficiency (extra interpreter)
> > Cross Platform
> > Stability (crashes on some OSes)
> > Programmability
> > Accessibility
> > i18n
> > Availability of gui builder
> > Licence
>
> Good as far as it goes, but this list leaves out several requirements
> (already posted by me, Steve Hansen, and others) for a Python 3 new
> stdlib module. It does not matter for the stdlib if wxpython is 3 times
> as good as tkinter, by some measure, as long as it is ineligible.
>
> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

Thanks Terry -- so I add that to the list

Works with Python 3
Look
Nativity-1 (as in apps look like other apps on the OS)
Nativity-2 (as in uses 'bare-metal' and not a separate interpreter)
Themeing (ttk)
Efficiency (extra interpreter)
Cross Platform
Stability (crashes on some OSes)
Programmability
Accessibility
i18n
Availability of gui builder
Licence

I should have mentioned earlier (doing it now) -- it maybe better to
deal with this list breadth-first -- ie to expand it to include all
the issues rather than going depth-first into each one.
There are surely others like:
Fun to use (very important when teaching/learning but hard to
quantify)

RR: You gave equal weights to each point. This does not work in
general. eg I am chary about using a toolkit that crashes (If crashes
are ok why not use C/C++ ?)

And there is another dimension to the "breadth" which needs inclusion
-- Qt and Gtk are equally contenders with Tkinter and Wx. (Any others
Ive missed?)