WxPython versus Tkinter

Nicholas Devenish misnomer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 20:10:51 EST 2011

On 26/01/2011 00:40, Ian wrote:
> Are you referring to ticket #14081?  I expect the reason this hasn't
> been addressed is because nobody has submitted a patch or suggested an
> improved wording.  If you were to make a suggestion, I doubt that
> anybody would be hostile to the idea of improving the tutorial.

Actually, it was that ticket, good hunting.

It's not so much that it was marked as duplicate, but that the bug it's
marked "Yet another" duplicate of is marked 'invalid', implying that the
Django developers consider it not a bug (i.e. user error, and not
something to be patched or reworded). If it was open, even as a
long-term low-priority documentation bug, then closing and marking the
duplicate report wouldn't have felt prickly at all.

I did some digging at the time, and there were indeed several more
instances of this confusion arising (that I failed to find in my cursory
search before posting the report); if intelligent people are getting
confused over the tutorial, (a document specifically designed for people
unfamiliar with the framework), then it sure sounds like a documentation
bug. Especially as, in some of the tickets, the responder explained the
issue (so, a need to explain) before closing the ticket.

Essentially, if people are hostile to the idea of accepting a
documentation problem, surely they might react the same way to a patch
for it.

And this is the first impression I got of the django community; because
I am only a casual user, I subsequently didn't feel any need to
potentially 'fight against the system' over the issue. I'll take your
encouraging comments on the general friend-and-helpful-ness of the
Django community onboard.

Thanks,

Nick