trouble installing MySQLdb (cygwin) + Bonus question

Matthew Roth mgroth86 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:59:25 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 9:34 pm, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 7:05 AM, Matthew Roth wrote:
>
> > On Jan 25, 4:30 am, Dennis Lee Bieber<wlfr... at ix.netcom.com>  wrote:
> >> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:25:09 -0800 (PST), Matthew Roth
> >> <mgrot... at gmail.com>  declaimed the following in
> >> gmane.comp.python.general:
> >>          Second -- MySQL is a server model DBMS; it doesn't have to be on the
> >> local machine.
> > --
> > unfortunately, for my use it does. We do have an old centOs box here,
> > but the mysql running on that is severely outdated and so too is the
> > python.
>
>     You can install a MySQL server under Windows, and talk to the server
> from the Cygwin environment.  That's a useful way to test.
>
>                                         John Nagle

Right, that is precisely what I have. I am able to talk to it from
cygwin, however, during the installing of the MySQLdb module it cannot
find the mysql_config. This is because It is not installed? The setup
sees that I am on a posix system not windows, as python is installed
in cygwin, a virtual posix system. I am trying to bulid a mysql client
from source for cygwin, however, I am running into an error there.

Unless, can I talk to the windows mysql_config? if so, what does that
look like