WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:25:06 EST 2011

On Jan 25, 12:15 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 10:29 AM, rusi wrote:
>

> > Just trying to sift the BS from the real issues
>
> > Heres a list of the issues relating to GUI toolkits
>
> > Look
> > Nativity-1 (as in apps look like other apps on the OS)
> > Nativity-2 (as in uses 'bare-metal' and not a separate interpreter)
> > Themeing (ttk)
> > Efficiency (extra interpreter)
> > Cross Platform
> > Stability (crashes on some OSes)
> > Programmability
> > Accessibility
> > i18n
> > Availability of gui builder
> > Licence
>
> It does not matter for the stdlib if wxpython is 3 times
> as good as tkinter, by some measure, as long as it is ineligible.

Terry, i think rusi was just posting a general list of some likable
attributes of a 21st century GUI library. No were did he mention the
words "wx" or "python".

------------------
 The Sad Reality
------------------
Sadly the fact is that the "elite" have already made a decision. And
they don't care how bad "Tkinter" is for Python's stdlib or how good
"GUI library X" is for Python's stdlib. They do not want to make a
change. They are in bed with TclTk. They have lost all vision. This is
the reality.

---------------------------
 What can we do about it?
---------------------------
However, like all totalitarian regimes, when the peasants start
demanding equality and then storm the castle... then and only then
will the closed minded and selfish elite listen! So we need to make
noise, a lot of noise. And we need to be persistent. We need to demand
equality through accessibility. We need to demand feature rich
libraries that do not cripple us like Tkinter. We need to demand that
Pythons community re-establish a vision for the future. A vision that
is representative of ALL the people -- and not a few fat cats at the
top.

--------------------------------
 From Dictatorship to Democracy
--------------------------------
I have time and time again given examples of how python-dev can get a
real idea of what the wider community is thinking. One of these ideas
would be to send out a "Tkinter Removal Warning" that would be
displayed when the Python installer was run and every time Tkinter is
imported. The warning would show a website were people could vote to
keep Tkinter in the stdlib. This is the only way we can truly
understand what our community members are thinking about Tkinter.
Anything else is purely speculation.

 The silence of the peasants, and an awakening
Many folks out there share our views that Tkinter is a weight around
Python's neck, however they are too fearful to speak out for fear of
excommunication (the kill file!). However i must tell all of you that
just as other nations have risen against their own brutal governments
and survived, so to shall you IF you combine your voices as one. There
is power in numbers that no "elite theocracy" can deny. United we can
re-establish the original dream that build Python. Guido forged the
path and we must not let his work be in vain. But now the community
has been so overrun with trolls, naysayers, and negative mind sets
that infect any semblance of civility and remove good judgment from
our coffers. We are doomed unless we re-awake the dream.