WxPython versus Tkinter.

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Mon Jan 24 14:57:54 EST 2011

On Jan 23, 4:31 pm, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > WxPython Challenge 1 code updated...
>
> >  * Fixed tab traveral
> >  * Removed hand-holding code
> >  * Removed some cruft
>
> >  https://sites.google.com/site/thefutureofpython/home/code-challenges
>
> > Good luck!
>
> Still crashes the interpreter.

The crash on Linux is due to SetSingleStyle removing the all items and
the columns when the mode of the listctrl is changed, and then the
code continues on with the assumption that the columns still exist and
the crash happens when an item is added to column zero and there is no
column zero.  Apparently the native widget on Windows doesn't have
that limitation.  BTW, if the linux wx packages had the runtime
assertions turned on then you would have seen a Python exception with
some clues that would probably help solve the problem. I don't know
about others but on Ubuntu you can install the *wx*-dbg packages to
get a version with the assertions turned on.  Hopefully that will
change starting with 2.9 as wx now turns on the assertions by default
for builds configured normally, and the wx-dev team recommends that
the assertions are not turned off, except in rare circumstances.

BTW, on behalf of the wxPython community I'd like to apologize for the
havoc caused by the flaming troll escaping from his cage.  In general
wxPython users are much less militant and zealotty and honor
everyone's freedom to choose which ever UI tool kit works the best for
their own needs.

--Robin