WxPython versus Tkinter.

Bryan bryan.oakley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:11:32 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 7:32 am, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 7:24 am, Bryan <bryan.oak... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 12:06 am, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jan 24, 9:16 am, "Littlefield, Tyler" <ty... at tysdomain.com> wrote:
>
> > > Of course as Steven pointed out wx is written in C++ which is almost
> > > certainly where the crash is occurring.
> > > But this is technical nitpicking.
> > > The real issue is that when coding in C/C++ segfaults are a daily
> > > affair.
> > > Whereas forpythonits the first time I am seeing it in 10 years...
>
> > In my experience, segfaults withwxPythonaren't daily, but they are
> > pretty much weekly.
>
> hmm
>
> > There are weeks that can go by without them, but
> > then I'll have several in a week to bump up the average.
>
> Yes, and this could not be your problem, it must bewxPython. Right?
> *rolls-eyes*

Correct. A scripting language should *never* segfault. If it does, it
is a bug in the language or library.

It is a provable fact that wxPython segfaults. You yourself proved
that. That is, in and of itself, *not* a reason to pick some other
toolkit. It's merely a datapoint. It's not a datapoint you can just
sweep under the rug, however, like you seem to want to do.

> >  There are
> > a lot of things you can do that aren't valid in particular contexts,
> > and instead of throwing a catchable error you get a segfault.
>
> And we need to fix that instead just disqualifying a feature rich
> toolkit.

I think if you re-read my post you'll see I don't disqualify it as a
rich toolkit. wxPython is a fine toolkit. Better than tkinter in some
ways, worse in others. segfaults is one aspect in which it is
measurably worse.