WxPython versus Tkinter.

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:38:41 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 9:02 am, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 8:49 am, Mike Driscoll <kyoso... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 7:24 am, Bryan <bryan.oak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > In my experience, segfaults with wxPython aren't daily, but they are
> > > pretty much weekly. There are weeks that can go by without them, but
> > > then I'll have several in a week to bump up the average.
>
> > I've only run my code on Windows and Linux, but I haven't had this
> > issue. The only time I've had segfaults was when I was first learning
> > how to get threading and wx to work properly and when I was creating
> > binaries with py2exe.
>
> Thanks. I knew these guys were full of it.

Not necessarily. He may been using some of the generic widgets, like
the agw stuff. The agw set is awesome, but they haven't been tested
extensively on anything other than Windows because their author is a
Windows programmer.

> > I like the concept of
> > creating a challenge to see which toolkit can do what, but this is not
> > the way to go about it.
>
> Well by all means offer some input. You have offered opinions but no
> ideas. I would love to hear any ideas you may have. And yes, Tkinter
> has a very likable API. I have mentioned this fact many times and in
> many threads. However when weighed on all factors wx will win. Because
> even though we may need to mold the wx API a bit, at least with wx we
> have a solid feature rich platform to work from.

I haven't gotten my ideas fleshed out yet. When I do, I will describe
them.