WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:33:22 EST 2011

On Jan 23, 7:16 pm, Kevin Walzer <k... at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> On 1/23/11 8:12 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>
> > The only way i can respond to this is to quite the requirements for my
> > challenge...
>
> > ---------------------------------------
> >   Challenge 1: (Simple Directory Viewer)
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Create a simple Directory Viewer GUI. You CANNOT use a treectrl!
>
> > Any questions?
>
> Why not?
>
> I'd understand if this code made use of some Tk extension, as that's not
> quite an apples-to-apples comparison. But the treectrl is part of the
> core Tkinter widget set.

Well wxPython ha a treectrl too. And if we were comparing apples to
apples then we would compare the wx.TreeCtrl to the Tk::TreeCtrl.
However there are many things that a ListCtrl can do that a treectrl
can't. The biggest difference.... COLUMNS

> There's no reason to exclude it (Tk::TreeCtrl) unless you are
> deliberately trying to handicap Tk in your comparison.

I am not handicapping TclTk. They already did that themselves by
refusing to keep up with  21st century GUI libraries. Sure, you can
say Tkinter is a knife and wxPython is an AK47 but who's to blame when
you bring a knife to gun fight Kevin? Switch to wx and enjoy the
bloodbath.