WxPython versus Tkinter.

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 17:03:26 EST 2011

On Jan 23, 3:23 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> psst: thats because they are FEATURES and NOT BUGS you idiot!

Your application not displaying a directory listing, due to one of
these "features", is desirable behavior?  I think not.  Your
application hanging, due to one of these "features" is desirable
behavior? I think not, nor do the wxWidgets, Qt, Swing, Cocoa, Gtk,
Win32, et al. toolkit developers.

> I am not trying to create a working file browser so you can steal my code.

I have ethics, morals, and standards, all of which forbid me from
stealing anything you write.

> I am displaying one use case for a very useful widget.

So useful that you've only found one toolkit that provides it OOB!

> A ListCtrl is useful for many, many purposes. Just one of them happens
> to be a file browser.

The specific functionality the wxWidgets ListCtrl has over its
alternatives in other toolkits is only really seen in file browsers.
Your challenge explicitly relies on making use of that functionality
and in no way, shape, or form illustrates the general utility of a
wxListCtrl.

When you amend the challenge, you can make the claim it's not about
wxListCtrl's unique functionality.

> >  Qt, Swing,
> > Gtk, and Win32 common controls[1] don't provide the same exact control
> > either, should we view it as deficient?

> Yes.

Funny, given that the original purpose of wxWidgets was to provide a
cross-platform MFC wrapper, I think you're in the minority of thought
among those developers, to say nothing of developers in general.

> I suppose you gauge the quality of code by how many tracebacks are
> printed. And it seems even more perverse that you expect code to spit
> exceptions!

You're the one who asked for them originally, not I.  I merely posited
that since you provided code that prints no tracebacks and expected
them (i.e., what you expect your code to do and what it does are two
different things), that it is highly unlikely you're capable of
providing me code that actually prints tracebacks, much less
tracebacks that assist you in debugging.

Put plainly, you have no clue whatsoever what your code actually does
or how it accomplishes it, which is exactly what we'd expect.

Adam