WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 12:21:57 EST 2011

On Jan 23, 4:10 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan... at behnel.de> wrote:
> rantingrick, 23.01.2011 01:07:
>
> > I have in many threads declared that Tkinter (and TclTk) is currently
> > --and has been for a decade-- the wrong choice for Python's stdlib
> > GUI.  [...]
> > It is time to prove once and for all how dated and worthless Tkinter
> > is compared to wxPython.
>
> What's the aim of that prove? If you are trying to pave the ground for
> getting wxPython in the stdlib instead of tkinter, I think that's bound to
> fail. Similar proposals have been rejected with the simple argument that
> adding a large library with a huge C dependency to the standard library
> without having a rock solid maintainer for both of them is not going to happen.

Wait a minute, i am confused? What language is Python written in? Oh
thats right Lisp! I am so dumb. How did i even get this job? :-)

> Are you volunteering to maintain both wxPython and wxWidgets in the
> standard library for, say, twenty years to come?

WxPython needs lots of proper documentation aimed at beginners (so
does Tkinter!). WxPython also needs a better API (however only VERY
sightly!!). These are some areas where i can be very helpful.