Python, Solaris 10, and Mailman

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jan 21 20:10:38 EST 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:59:33 +0000
"McNutt Jr, William R" <mcnutt at utk.edu> wrote:
> I am attempting to install Mailman on a Sun Sunfire x4100 box running Solaris ten. I keep running into brick walls that the Mailman group looks at, shrugs, and says, that's a Python problem.
>
> Has ANYBODY actually made this work?
>
> Currently, I'm attempting to compile Python 2.4.4, which is the recommended distro for Mailman,

2.4.4?? Do yourself a favour and choose a modern release.
2.4 hasn't been supported for years, and besides, the latest in that
branch in 2.4.6.
You can probably use whatever version of Python comes with Solaris, no
need to build your own.
Oh, and tell the Mailman guys that their recommendations are totally
obsolete.

Regards

Antoine.