examples of realistic multiprocessing usage?

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Fri Jan 21 15:57:57 EST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 3:36 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Adam Skutt <askutt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 11:51 pm, Albert van der Horst <alb... at spenarnc.xs4all.nl>
>> wrote:
>>> This is what some people want you to believe. Arm twisting by
>>> GPL-ers when you borrow their ideas? That is really unheard of.
>>
>> Doesn't matter, you're still legally liable if your work is found to
>> be derivative and lacking a fair use defense.  It's not borrowing
>> "ideas" that's problematic, it's proving that's all you did.  For
>> those of us with legal departments, we have no choice: if they don't
>> believe we can prove our case, we're not using the code, period.  The
>> risk simply isn't worth it.
>
> Many legal departments have an overblown sense of risk, I'm afraid.

I carefully avoid GPLed code on our BSD-licensed project not because I need fear anyone's legal department, but out of respect for the author(s) of the GPL-ed code. The way I see it, the author of GPL-ed code gives away something valuable and asks for just one thing in return: respect the license. It strikes me as very selfish to deny them the one thing they ask for.

JMHO,
Philip