Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 03:05:24 EST 2011

> From: "Adam Skutt" <ask... at gmail.com>> Yet, for some unfathomable reason,
> you keep promoting
> I would be glad if you could tell me about a portable solution which is
> accessible with JAWS and Window Eyes, the most used screen readers under
> Windows (real glad).

I did, Qt.  I'm not yournanny and I'm not going to go test it for
you.  There are bugs in the Qt database relating to JAWS
functionality, so it others have plainly gotten it working to some
degree.  But honestly, why should I waste my time replying to you when
you're too damn lazy to even use Google?  I certainly won't be doing
so in the future.  "Lead a ignorant, thirsty horse to water, watch it
die of thirst" and all that.

I have tried more QT-based apps and I couldn't find one to be accessible,
while most widgets offered by WxPython are accessible out of the box.

QT is really bad, but you hijacked the tread because as you can see even in
the subject, we are talking about Tkinter, not about QT.

If QT is not included by default in Python, it is not such a big problem
because only those who care more about the visual aspect than about the
accessibility use it, but Tkinter is bad because it is promoted and many
beginners will start using it witout knowing how bad it is and why.

You keep telling that you searched on the web for finding what the others
say about accessibility but this is a very wrong way. Don't say anything
about accessibility if you haven't tried personally.

Octavian