Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:31:59 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 5:01 pm, Jerry Hill <malaclyp... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that's referring to this email:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-October/010046.html

---- Greg Wilson -----
I thought about using wxPython in the most recent run of my Python
course, but
decided to stick to Tkinter because:

- There isn't a wxWindows/wxPython book (matters a lot when
organizations are
  trying to decide what to adopt for long-term use).
---- Greg Wilson -----

WxPython could use better docs even today (not sure of what books are
available) however when we decide to integrate wx into the stdlib that
would be the best time to write a comprihensive "python specific
tutorial/docs

---- Greg Wilson -----
- Tkinter came packaged with the 1.5.2 installer, wxPython didn't.
---- Greg Wilson -----

Duh! And if wxPython came prepackaged this post whould never have
existed eh?

---- Greg Wilson -----
- There aren't as many tools on top of wxPython as there are on top of
Tkinter.
  In particular, I think that a vector drawing package on top of
wxPython that
  did what Sketch does, but on Windows as well as Linux, would make a
great
  subject for a book on Python, non-trivial OO, and HCI (hint,
hint...)
---- Greg Wilson -----

Oh come on, this is about as weak as Guido's "tag" rant. A vector
drawing app is not a tool it's an app! An besides more "tools" or apps
will be written in wx when we integrate it into the stdlib, no doubt.
These are really ridiculous reasons for not choosing wxPython and i
suspect that you are just another one of the mindless "Tkinter"
zombies who base their judgments on friendships and constituents.