Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thu Jan 20 12:24:08 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:13 PM, MRAB wrote:

> On 20/01/2011 15:11, rantingrick wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 6:30 am, Bill Felton<subscripti... at cagttraining.com>
>> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>> As one of 'the people' who is presumably the focus of rantingrick's
>>> concern, let me assure him Tkinter is a non-issue. MIchael is more
>>> in touch with my issues than rr.
>>
>> FYI you are NOT one of the people that is the focus of my concern
>> because YOU only see the world from a limited viewpoint. And i never
>> proposed to solve every Python programmers problems. You completely
>> misunderstand my intentions (along with everyone else!). I  do not
>> believe in "Utopian dreams". Some people will never be happy with the
>> state of Python and that is OK. However, the goal is to keep the
>> majority happy AND keep Python "presentable" and "competitive" for the
>> next decade. I am sorry you don't fit into any of these categories but
>> that is your own fault. Why? Because you are not concerned with the
>> community as a whole. You are only concerned with YOURSELF. You are
>> displaying both selfishness and ignorance at the same time. We don't
>> care what selfish people think and we care even less what the ignorant
>> think. If you decide to become a "team player" then you will be a part
>> of this community. Lucky for you ignorance and selfishness are
>> reversible personality traits.
>>
> So you're going to lead the "peasants" (your word) whether they like it
> or not, and any who don't want to follow are clearly being selfish and
> ignorant?
>
> Have you ever thought that if everyone is misunderstanding your
> intentions, then perhaps you're doing something wrong?
>
> (BTW, welcome to Pythonia, Bill! Most of us are friendly. :-))\

Thanks!
And yes, I had noticed that in general this is a congenial, thoughtful, and helpful community.  While a lot of what is discussed is not of particular interest to me, there's been a lot that has been of interest and/or of value.  So far, I'm pretty impressed with the language as well as the community.  And it's wonderful to be involved with a language that has such voluminous supporting materials of all sorts.  [I self-taught Smalltalk back in the early and mid-80's when there were 3 books and that's about it...]
Hopefully I'll be able to contribute code, learning materials, or such like, at some point ;-)

cheers,
Bill